The bi-lingual Deputy Press Secretary will be responsible for providing overall support to the Director/Press Secretary. This includes assisting with media inquiries, researching issues, coordinating media outreach and helping with the social media efforts for the Diocese of Brooklyn and its principle Bishop, His Excellency Nicholas DiMarzio, Ph.D., D.D. Verbal and written fluency in English and Spanish is a key requirement as the Deputy will be responsible for various translations and conducting interviews with Spanish press outlets. The Deputy Press Secretary will also provide assistance in the public relations efforts of DeSales Media Group and will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Support the efforts of the Press Secretary and Office of Communications as directed. This includes being on call and available as events unfold.
- Draft press releases, media materials, talking points and statements for various high-profile Diocesan leaders.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the practices and structure of the Roman Catholic Church, its teachings and its influence on prominent groups of city, state and federal agencies.
- Verbal and written translation of documents, speeches and press releases in both Spanish and English.
- Conduct interviews for Spanish press outlets as directed by the Press Secretary.
- Maintain and regularly update press lists.
- Track daily news coverage that impacts the Church, the Diocese of Brooklyn and Bishop DiMarzio.
- Event planning for various media, Diocese and DeSales Media-sponsored events.
- Successfully interact with all levels of management, Diocese personnel and media while ensuring professionalism, discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- BA in Journalism, Communication or related field
- Fluent in English and Spanish, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in public relations, press office or news reporting in a fast-paced environment
- Deep understanding of the practices and teachings of the Church.
- Flexibility in work hours, including being on call for events that periodically occur on evenings and weekends
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills – team player & self starter
- Ability to take direction, multi-task and understand priorities
- Detail-oriented and excellent proofreading skills
- Proficiency in Mac, I Cloud and MS Office Suite, including Power Point
- Punctuality and Dependability are critical
- Valid drivers license and familiarity with Brooklyn and Queens Diocesan districts are essential
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.